Friday 18 January 2013

Introducing... Flashback Fridays!!

First of all, please accept my apologies for lack of posting this week. I am finding it difficult to post during the week since returning to work from holidays AND I got a new job this week!! Yah! I’m still teaching, but I now have 2 Learning Assistance jobs instead of 4 smaller jobs. Very exciting! My proposal to help keep posts coming during the workweek is to have Words-Not-Needed Wednesdays (not too original, I know) and then Flashback Fridays!! I have a lot of great stories to share from life before Mr. R came along!

This month marks 5 years since my grandmother passed. She was and always will be one of my favourite people in life and one of the most influential people in my life. We were tight... like BFFs tight. Grandma Pugh (pronounced “pew”) took care of me during the day from 6 months of age until I was able to drive myself to school and had a car at age 17 and grade 11. It was as we knew her health was failing that I had my first panic attack, and first really came to terms with losing someone very close to your heart.

When it came time to decide what to do with her remains, her will didn’t exactly specify. I suggested we leave half her ashes here in Canada, and took the other half back to South Wales to be with her family and near her favourite siblings. My mom wasn’t up for the trip, and I’m an only child (I have a half brother and a half sister from my dad’s previous marriage, but more on that later), so my best friend came with me.

After arriving in London, we sought out a train to take us to Swansea. I’m not sure why I selected Swansea, about an hour away from Cardiff, the capitol of Wales, but for some reason, the name stuck in my head and I knew it had a beach and that I had been there with my grandmother. The train was packed because the Six Nations Rugby Cup was happening in Cardiff that day and for the first time in decades, Wales won! We watched them win in a crowded pub while eating fish and chips (grandma’s favourite). The next morning, on Saturday, March 15th 2008, we set out to the beach with the urn and a camera. This is what my BFF captured:

Walking out to the water

The urn on the beach... so serene. 

Getting ready...

Uhh... nobody told me ashes came in a zap strapped bag... no scissors in sight.
This is the moment when my BFF put her camera down and reached deep in the urn to empty the contents in to the container so that I could continue to gracefully spread the ashes like they do in the movies, from the urn, not a zap strapped baggie...

And ready to proceed! Hallelujah!!
It was at this moment that my BFF learned there was an onshore breeze...
And I gracefully spread the ashes, not in a zap strapped bag, along the beach, while accounting for the breeze.
Until she was one with her surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment