Tuesday 8 January 2013

Bustin’ Rhymes and Learning to (w)Rap

So I recently complained in an online group that my trusty Ergo has started hurting my back. My baby weighs over 26 lbs now and I find that no matter how I adjust it, I get upper back pain after about 20 minutes. We had some good times, but I decided that it was time to start exploring other baby wearing options. I don’t consider myself an attachment parent, per say, but seeing how R has been sick lately and wants to be held at all times, my buff lady pipes need a break.
One of my fav. pics of R in the Ergo in Hawaii

When I posed the question online in my favourite group of baby wearing/cloth diapering/crunchy mamas, the suggestions seemed to be split between trying another soft structured carrier made for toddlers, and trying a woven wrap. I was well aware of the large community of mamas who use woven wraps. I always admired their ability to attach their babies to their bodies like gymnasts and somehow not drop them. It was then that an internet friend offered to lend me two of her woven wraps.

She shipped a size 7 wrap and a short size 5 wrap to my US address and I made a trip across the border to pick them up. The look on the border guard’s face when I told him the value of the wraps and that someone who I’ve never met in person (he stressed this fact), was willing to “lend” them to me, was priceless. Once home with the wraps, I immediately joined all the baby wearing Facebook groups I could fine and started searching for videos on youtube.

Day 2, Attempt #3

The first carry I decided to attempt was a Ruck. It was the simplest in my opinion, and I could do it with the shorter wrap... which seemed long enough to me! For my first attempt, I didn’t get the “top rail,” or top of the wrap tight enough and R decided to lean back at the wrong time. He ended up complete inverted, with his head hanging down by the back of my knees. From there, I gently dropped him on his head. No judgement here, I assure you it was more like setting him down on his head, and he didn’t seem to mind, so we laugh about it now. For attempt number two, I went to tie the final knot and realized that the ends were uneven and I did not have enough material on one side to tie off. At this point, R decided that he’d had enough. I decided to leave things for another day and continued to watch videos and gather information.

The next day, after I went for a run, R came running up to me and just wanted to be held. I knew then that the timing was perfect. I grabbed the short wrap and VOILA! My first successful Ruck. He was totally happy back there as I had hubby snap some pictures of my success, checked the effort out in the mirror and continued to make adjustments. I was so proud at this moment. Apparently, I was told by my new Facebook support groups for baby wearing, this was pretty good for my third attempt. I think R and I were just happy that he didn’t end up on his head!!

I decided that I had pretty much mastered this carry and CLEARLY I was ready to do this in the crowded grocery store the next day. Things started out okay and once again, R was pretty happy to be on my back. I took my online advice and tried to get him up higher and the rails tighter, but, after about 15 minutes, I felt the shoulders slipping, and slipping, and slipping. By the end, the shoulders were nearly completely off and the “seat” under R’s bottom had shifted to the point of being nearly non-existant. Clearly, I still need more practice!
R and I in the grocery store... shoulder slip and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment