Sunday 13 January 2013

All Mat Leaves Must Come to an End

I must start this post by acknowledging how grateful I am to have 12 months off paid at 55% of my wage and recognize that this is another thing we often take for granted in Canada, along with our healthcare. However, all good things must come to an end. Because R was born June 30th, the last day of the school year in 2011, I actually had 12 months off partially paid and then 2 additional months off unpaid. In September, I returned to work full time. For the first 2 months, a friend looked after R, but it quickly became clear that she was overwhelmed with complete home renovations and her own family. We also worried that R wasn’t getting to socialize much with children his own age. So the hunt for childcare began.

Hunting for childcare can be stressful for any parents, but for those who have worked in the field of child care and development, this task can be extra difficult. I started working for Children’s and Youth Services in a neighbouring community at age 15 until  received my Bachelor of Education in December 2006 and starting my teaching career. In June 2011, months before R was born, I received my Masters of Science in Educational Leadership and Administration and just this fall completed coursework to certify me in Level B Psychology testing and a Learning Support Teacher. So I guess I am what one would consider “an expert” in the field of children and their development. This can make me a very difficult parent to deal with: believe me, I know, I have dealt with parents like myself, throughout my career.

Hubby and I made a list of things we wanted out of childcare and then I began looking around. We hoped for the following:
-a low ratio of 4 children to 1 adult for the infant stage
-a cloth diaper friendly provider
-a flexible nap schedule that would cater to our “non sleeper”
-a provider that would encourage the use of good communication, including sign language
-a provider that would facilitate healthy social development
-all of this for $900/mo or under to fit our budget.

We quickly learned that most the local “in home” providers were ruled out by our ratio requirement as they usually had a 7:1 ratio. Many providers were also ruled out by our cloth diaper requirement AND our flexible nap schedule. Most providers require that the child arrive scheduled to when they put all the children down for naps at the same time. This is not our Mr. R. Then, in one week, I had two separate colleagues recommend Heritage Park Childcare Centre. I went to visit the centre one day after work, when a friend was watching R. I was quickly greeted by friendly, happy little toddlers when I went in to have a look. There were plenty of staff with my desired four to one ratio and it was clear that the children were being encouraged to interact and socialize appropriately. I was shocked to learn that not only were they ready to learn all about cloth diapers and use sign language, but they would also put Mr. R down whenever he needed and cuddle him in a rocking chair with his bottle of goat milk before putting him in the crib. WINNING!!

Heritage Park Childcare Centre opened in the 1980’s in a church basement before moving to its current building that opened alongside Heritage Park Secondary, and is owned by the School District (my employer). It boasts an open door policy, with drop in at any time, and welcomes subsidy and community supports. Personally, I LOVE that parents who are still attending the high school across the street, can afford the same care that I can, as a full time working adult. It is also operated as the last non-profit option for childcare in our community. This was really cool. We actually had to join the Mission Daycare Society, before R could attend. This really fits our parenting philosophy and my philosophy as a professional of it taking a “village” or a “community to raise a child.”

Needless to say, Mr R LOVES it there!! He rarely cries when mama leaves for work, and keep in mind that he is an attached lil guy, and jumps in to the open arms of the staff. I get communications daily about everything from his naps and eating habits, to his B.M.s and activities from the day. I encourage any parents who are shopping around for childcare to make a list of what you are looking for and then search for a provider that can cater to what YOU and YOUR CHILD NEEDS and not the other way ‘round. We certainly found that. You can also access Child Care Resource Centres in your communities.
**For anyone interested, there is still space at Heritage Park Child Care Centre if you want your little one to join Mr. R for some fun!! Call Lorraine at 604-826-3080**

*Tips for choosing a daycare*

No comments:

Post a Comment