Thursday 14 February 2013

Meeting The Financial Guru I Listen to Often, Yet Rarely Hear

This week I got to meet one of my favourite reality TV stars. No, it wasn’t Snooki (I’ve actually never even watched an episode of Jersey Shore), or anyone from American Idol. It was Gail Vaz Oxlade from the hit shows Til Debt Do Us Part and Princess. Gail is a Canadian Financial legend and has turned financial responsibility in to a hit topic with her Canadian viewing audience. At a time when most other celebrities do nothing more than encourage us to spend and live beyond our means, all for the sake of appearance, Gail shows young people and couples the harsh reality of living a life you can’t afford.

I was very excited when my good friend and blogging mentor, Robyn Roste Summers began guest blogging for Gail this year, and was even more excited when she told me that Gail was coming to town! So excited that I didn’t even mind driving 45 mins to Langley after working a full day, getting x-rays and blood work done, completing an intense TRX suspension workout and ditching Paleo for a gas station dinner!! Gail was promoting her new book with a short talk, meet-and-greet and book signing at the Chapters a few towns over. Robyn was excited to buy the new book, get it signed and meet her mentor. Me? I had $8.00 in my bank account and was just going for the photo opp.

When it was our turn, Gail did not disappoint and was very excited to meet “her” Robyn, immediately recognizing the young writer she had been corresponding with. They hugged, took pictures and Gail signed Robyn’s book. Then it was my turn. I promptly walked up to Gail, empty handed and declared that I would be borrowing Robyn’s book because my spending jars were empty. Gail, again, did not disappoint in her reaction as she nearly spit her coffee, and I too was welcomed by a long hug and a few photos. All in all it was a great evening and I feel a re-newed commitment to my financial goals for the year after having met my guru in the flesh.



To learn more about Gail and her great financial advice and resources, visit her page... I do... it’s even at the top of my screen as I type this, in my Bookmark Bar! http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources.html

1 comment:

  1. :) Watching GVO spit her coffee was the highlight of the night for me!

    ReplyDelete